Re: Simple DB presence verifier.

From: "Abbas" <abbas(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: "Damian C" <jamianb(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Simple DB presence verifier.
Date: 2007-03-05 17:14:40
Lists: pgsql-novice

Assuming u are familiar with TCP/IP, the problem is basically to see if
there is a TCP server listening at port 5432.
So the smallest overhead will be to try connecting to the IP of the
server on the said port,
if the connection is successful, disconnect and conclude that the server
is running.
I would not recommend keeping one client connected to to the server and
sending a query every now and then
just to verify server is running. I think the above check is good enough.
I remember u could create a client TCP socket using Java.
--Abbas