Re: COMMIT NOWAIT Performance Option

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: COMMIT NOWAIT Performance Option
Date: 2007-02-28 20:44:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Jonah H. Harris wrote:
> On 2/28/07, Joshua D. Drake <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote:
>> > Right, but I don't know anyone that keeps checkpoints at 5 minutes.
>> > At least not on OLTP configurations.
>>
>> Uhmm... most do because most don't ever touch the postgresql.conf and
>> those that do, don't touch checkpoints because they don't understand it.
>
> Yes, I guess I should've qualified that to specify people who do
> understand the system better.

I am not trying to pick on the issue but I do think it is important to
recognize that literally only those in the know, are going to ever touch
the postgresql.conf.

I deal with lots of customers, who employ lots of programmers that I
have often heard, "There is a postgresql.conf?". Why? Because they are
user space programmers using an ORM or other such tech that allows them
to never actually login to postgresql or a shell or anything once they
edit the pg_hba.conf.

Joshua D. Drake

http://www.commandprompt.com/