Re: where postgres 8.1.8 log messages go

To: jing han <jing_han_66(at)yahoo(dot)com>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: where postgres 8.1.8 log messages go
Date: 2007-02-27 15:57:09
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Don't forget to copy back to the list - Reply To All is your friend ;)

This is my configuration:

log_directory = '/var/log/endeavour/pgsql' # Directory
where log files are written

Note the single quotes, not double - this could be your problem.

Also note that /var/log/messages is a file, not a directory. PostgreSQL
will write it's own log files.
If you want to use a specific log file, use log_filename in conjunction
with log_directory - but note that syslog uses /var/log/messages so
don't use that or it'll get syslog confused.
You can log to syslog as well, if that's what you want to do. Read that
manual page some more.

I would also not put the log files in /var/log - at least make a
subdirectory like /var/log/pgsql.
I've known built-in Linux rotate and compress scripts to play havoc with
PostgreSQL by rotating and compressing it's logs while it's trying to
use them, when they're in /var/log.

Andy.

--
Andy Shellam
NetServe Support Team

the Mail Network
"an alternative in a standardised world"

p: +44 (0) 121 288 0832/0839
m: +44 (0) 7818 000834