Re: Daylight Saving Time

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Match(dot)Grun(at)thomson(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Daylight Saving Time
Date: 2007-01-31 19:22:59
Lists: pgsql-ports

Match(dot)Grun(at)thomson(dot)com wrote:

<snip>
> Apologies for the follwing questions. You will be flooded with
> these, so I may as well ask them now.
>
> 1) What is the process to get from source to binary?

See makefile in the src/timezone directory and zic.c in the same place.

> 2) What files need to be changed?

There are lot of changes. Most "dangerous" are changes in the hardlinks.
There are many of new TZ files hadlinked to e.g. London and some old
hardliked file has now own separate file.

> 3) Do we need to rebuild and update all files (including
> executables and binaries?

I think, if you remove all old timezones and copy new version in the
correct directory (e.g. /usr/share/pgsql/timezone) it will work.

> 4) Would we need to shutdown server, install new timezone
> files and restart server?

Yes, postgres keep one used timezone file in the memory.

> Note, even Sun could not answer all the questions with their
> java FAQ, which seemed to be pretty good. We are still
> waiting a response on that one.

A lot of answers are also on this page, but PG8.0 is not covered.

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/hubs/dst/software/

Zdenek