Re: Updatable cursors - applications?

From: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org, inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp
Subject: Re: Updatable cursors - applications?
Date: 2007-01-29 15:56:31
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Tom Lane wrote:
> Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
>> In case anyone is wondering about my recent obsession with updatable
>> cursors, there is a patch from EnterpriseDB for PostgreSQL which offers
>> some quite significant performance benefits, but it does change the way
>> CTIDs work which the UC feature relies on. Obviously we need to make
>> sure the driver doesn't lose functionality should the patch be applied
>> to the server.
>
> If it changes the behavior of CTIDs in ways that are likely to break
> reasonable client code, you can pretty much bet it won't get applied ...
> but have you got any details? I don't recall having heard about any
> such thing.

I understood it was you that made Simon aware of the issue when he first
posted about HOT.

I don't believe any reasonable client code would have reason to use
CTIDs though, with the exception of something like the ODBC or JDBC
drivers. This is why I'm looking for existing apps to test with - so we
can ensure that any fixes that need to be added into the driver can be
well tested.

Regards, Dave