Re: Synthesize support for Statement.getGeneratedKeys()?

From: Ken Johanson <pg-user(at)kensystem(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Michael Paesold <mpaesold(at)gmx(dot)at>
Subject: Re: Synthesize support for Statement.getGeneratedKeys()?
Date: 2007-01-20 05:43:53
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Michael Paesold wrote:
> Ken Johanson wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I've just come to realize that Statement.getGeneratedKeys() is not
>> supported in the current PG and/or JDBC driver. Does someone know if
>> this is a limitation of PG, or its protocol, or just not yet
>> implemented in the JDBC driver? I'm just wondering where, if at all
>> (if I have enough brain cells that is :), I could try to offer a patch
>> or ideas..
>
> It would be possible to implement that using the RETURNING clause
> supported in recent versions of the server.
>
> See here:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2006-10/msg00035.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jdbc/2006-10/msg00037.php
>
> Unfortunately, all my available spare time went into implementing
> support for standards_conforming_strings in the 8.2 release cycle.

Michael, does it look like you might have the time for this in the next
couple months? If not and no one else more familar/rofiecient with the
private API will have time, then I giuess I should dig in and try...
even if I need to ramp up to the server protocol to do it.

If someone has pointers to where the augmentaion code should be placed
(org.tgresql.jdbc3.Jdbc3ResultSetMetadata I presume), and also the
protocol (separate query to the server?, or append RETURNING clause to
the DML?).

Also I cant remember - is it true that when inserting multuple VALUES,
that only the first (or last) SEQUENCE can be retrived, or can I
populate a resultset using the RETURNING data from by the server?

Thanks again,
Ken