Re: Configuration Advice

From: Benjamin Minshall <minshall(at)intellicon(dot)biz>
To: Steve <cheetah(at)tanabi(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Configuration Advice
Date: 2007-01-17 21:33:30
Lists: pgsql-performance

> Building these indexes takes forever!

> Anyway -- ANYTHING we can do to make this go faster is appreciated :)
> Here's some vital statistics:

> - Machine is a 16 GB, 4 actual CPU dual-core opteron system using SCSI
> discs. The disc configuration seems to be a good one, it's the best of
> all the ones we've tested so far.

What are your shared_buffers, work_mem, and maintenance_work_mem settings?

maintenance_work_mem is used for CREATE INDEX, and with 16GB of memory
in the machine, maintenance_work_mem should be set to at least 1GB in my
opinion.

--
Benjamin Minshall <minshall(at)intellicon(dot)biz>
Senior Developer -- Intellicon, Inc.