Re: pgstattuple TODO item

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgstattuple TODO item
Date: 2007-01-04 09:17:03
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Dave Page a ecrit le 04/01/2007 09:51:
>>[...]
>> I didn't add some code to automatically detect if pgstattuple is
>> installed. I don't know if I should add a new public method in pgCon
>> class or use the HasFeature method. If the database doesn't have
>> pgstattuple, should I disable the menu item or should I hide it ?
>
> You should use HasFeature.

I asked this because only adminpack features were checked within this
method. But it will be simpler to use it.

>> I don't like the way I display all these rows. Can I put them in a new
>> tab ? like the Statistics one ?
>
> I think they should be added to the existing statistics, rather than
> being on a new tab. Just extend pgTable::ShowStatistics as has already
> been done for FEATURE_SIZE, and get rid of the menu item altogether.

OK. I first chose to use a menu because executing pgstattuple on a big
table (more than a gig) is really slow.

> BTW; *if* it were to be done from the menu (which I don't think it
> should), you would use executePgstattupleFactory::CheckEnable to hide
> the option if HasFeature fails, as well as to show of hide it depending
> on the selected object type.

I'll first get rid of the menu. I forgot to ask if I can add a hint
about vacuuming if dead_rows_percent is way too high. Are you OK with this ?

Regards.

--
Guillaume.