Re: Newbie questions, diff between functions and

From: Erwin Brandstetter <brsaweda(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Newbie questions, diff between functions and
Date: 2006-11-29 00:18:49
Lists: pgadmin-support

Dave Page wrote:
> Milen A. Radev wrote:
>> I consider the decision to distinguish between functions and procedures
>> in pgAdmin's UI very unfortunate.
(..)
> I'm happy to discuss re-engineering that if people want (can't guarantee
> I'll actually get time to change anything myself though).

As I have expressed this preference before, I obviously agree with
Milen: a single category of "functions" would be preferrable over the
current distinction between "functions" and "procedures". Two downsides
that come to mind:

- Newcomers will be confused (as we have seen on this list) and search
for "procedures" in the docs.

- The seemingly arbitrary separation of functions and "procedures" does
not help with DB maintainance. Often makes me check two lists in the
object tree instead of one when I look for a function. I still get
confused sometimes, and I have been using pgAdmin a LOT. (Yeah, hail to
the makers! :) )

I don't begrudge former Oracle users their warm and fuzzy feeling when
finding their old acquaintances ("procedures") here in PG, but maybe we
can offer them a bowl of punch instead? ;)

Regards
Erwin