Re: PostgreSQL Documentation of High Availability and Load Balancing

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: José Orlando Pereira <jop(at)di(dot)uminho(dot)pt>
Cc: community(at)gorda(dot)di(dot)uminho(dot)pt, PostgreSQL-documentation <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Documentation of High Availability and Load Balancing
Date: 2006-11-20 14:52:16
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hello Jose,

José Orlando Pereira wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Thanks for the heads up. I mostly agree with the text (except maybe the
> paragraph on Oracle RAC and 2PC).

Hm, what's wrong with that? Okay, we should better not mention Oracle
RAC there, but it is a product doing 'Multi-Master Replication Using
Clustering', isn't it?

> Regarding GORDA, I would not try to fit it into existing bullets, as our
> current prototype implements several variations of query broadcasting,
> multi-master and master/slave, although none with production quality.

AFAIK, we want to help the users to get a general understanding about
replication, high availability and load balancing. So as to give them a
good starting point on their search for a solution to their problem(s).

Thus it's okay if you say GORDA is prototyping several of the algorithms
mentioned. I just would like to make sure that the descriptions are
general enough to be appropriate for most implementations.

For example, recently Josh Berkus proposed, that 'statement-based
replication' was the more common term for 'query broadcasting'. Do you
agree with that? What did you call it? Does the description fit?

> Instead, I'd point out PostgreSQL's friendliness to research and the resulting
> prototypes that stem from academia. This can help to draw community attention
> to our efforts.

Thank you for your suggestions. And I'm glad you're seeing PostgreSQL
that way. But I think your additions don't quite fit into the
documentation because they are too promotional.

I should probably have given some more details about previous
discussions. One consensus we've reached was, that we don't want to keep
a quickly changing list of open source projects in our documentation. So
probably nether GORDA nor Postgres-R will get mentioned there.

But for sure we'll compile a list of available replication solutions
*somewhere* on the website, where we can change it as often as we want.
I'm sure GORDA will get mentioned there.

@pgsql-docs: BTW, what's the state on that one? Or do I have to ask that
on -www?

Regards

Markus