Re: patch to implement ECPG side tracing / tracking ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Zoltan Boszormenyi <zb(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Subject: Re: patch to implement ECPG side tracing / tracking ...
Date: 2010-01-13 21:42:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hans-Juergen Schoenig <hs(at)cybertec(dot)at> writes:
> Michael Meskes wrote:
>> Before looking into it in detail I think we should first figure out if this
>> feature really has a benefit.

> the use cases for this thing are quite simple: we are currently porting
> hundreds (!) of complex Informix terminal applications to PostgreSQL.
> [ and need to optimize them ]

What you didn't explain is why you need client-side tracing rather than
using the rather extensive facilities that already exist server-side.
In particular, have you looked at CVS tip contrib/auto_explain? It
seems like you are duplicating a lot of what that can do. If that needs
some additional features, you could work on that. From the big picture
standpoint I think it makes a lot more sense to add instrumentation
server-side than client-side. Any features you add client-side are only
available to ecpg users, and you have to cope with ensuring there's a
way to collect the data out of the application (which may be running in
an environment where that's hard).