Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition

From: Markus Schiltknecht <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Jeff Frost <jeff(at)frostconsultingllc(dot)com>, Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Replication documentation addition
Date: 2006-11-15 09:57:38
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

Hi,

> Jeff Frost wrote:
>> I would speculate that your terminology is slightly more accurate than mine.

I can't help it, but I'm still thinking the terminology in the
replication documentation is somewhat made up.

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> Hmmm. Interesting. Does anyone else have details or an opinion on
> this? The fact that there is something sitting above the servers seems
> to be the defining issue of calling it query broadcast.

I'd argue that "Query Broadcast Load Balancing" and "Clustering For Load
Balancing" are both the same replication type: sync, multi-master. And
the problem they try to solve is the same (Load Balancing).

Listing them as two different types of replication... I don't know. But
we should at least clearly state that both are sync, multi-master
replication algorithms.

Anyway, instead of mocking around any longer I'm trying to come up with
a better proposal... patch will follow.

Regards

Markus