Re: URGENT TABLE PG_SHADOW CORRUTEP

From: "Peter Koczan" <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Daniel Ricardo Medina" <dmedina(at)computec(dot)com(dot)co>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: URGENT TABLE PG_SHADOW CORRUTEP
Date: 2007-03-26 00:27:56
Lists: pgsql-admin

I saw something along these lines recently when I was running stuff from
postgres 7.4.7 (we recently upgraded to 8.2.3). Basically, a unique index
somehow fails and allows duplicate rows...but I don't know why.

Deleting doesn't work because postgres only looks for the record shown by
the index (though this may have been fixed in more recent releases). At
least this is the behaviour I observed.

The way I fixed it was to drop the unique index, remove the offending rows,
reinsert only one of the offending rows (so things would once again be
unique), and remake the index. It worked.

There are two things that concern me:
1. Trying to do this on a system table is likely ill-advised at best, and
dangerous at worst.
2. If the table only has 3 rows in it and it got corrupted, there's
something really wrong. My table in question was a user table that had
almost a million rows.