Re: BUG #4567: Clustering on GIST INDEX clobbers records in table intermittently

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Regina Obe" <robe(dot)dnd(at)cityofboston(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #4567: Clustering on GIST INDEX clobbers records in table intermittently
Date: 2008-12-08 01:16:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Regina Obe" <robe(dot)dnd(at)cityofboston(dot)gov> writes:
> intermittently

> This doesn't always happen to me but does intermittently, and for others it
> happens all the time.

I wonder whether this is fixed by this recent patch:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2008-12/msg00053.php

The pre-patch behavior would've depended on the value of a
never-initialized struct field, so the erratic behavior is explained
by varying contents of memory. I'm unable to make it happen in an
assert-enabled build, but that's probably because the initial contents
of a palloc'd chunk are never zeroes in such a build.