Re: Feature proposal: generalizing deferred trigger events

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Holger Krug <hkrug(at)rationalizer(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature proposal: generalizing deferred trigger events
Date: 2002-01-02 16:31:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Holger Krug <hkrug(at)rationalizer(dot)com> writes:
> The proposal consists in generalizing the PostgreSQL deferred trigger
> mechanism to more general types of events.

While I have no inherent objection to that, I'm not seeing what it's
good for either. What SQL feature would be associated with this?

> One use case would be a PostgreSQL procedure `mark_tx_rollback()' to
> mark a transaction for rollback.

This is unconvincing, since Postgres has no need for rollback procedures
(and I personally will disagree with any attempt to introduce 'em; if
you need one then you have a problem doing crash recovery).