Re: plpgsql returning array

From: Marc McIntyre <mmcintyre(at)squiz(dot)net>
To: Jean-Christophe Roux <jcxxr(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-php(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: plpgsql returning array
Date: 2006-10-15 06:11:30
Lists: pgsql-php

You should use a set returning function. Your function can be rewritten
as a set returning function like so:

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION foo()
RETURNS SETOF text AS
$BODY$
declare
a text;
b text;
arr text[];
i INTEGER := 0;
begin
a = 'a';
b = 'b';
arr[0] = a;
arr[1] = b;

FOR i IN 0..array_upper(arr, 1) LOOP
RETURN NEXT arr[i];
END LOOP;

end;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;

And to call the function:

marc=# select * from foo();
foo
-----
(2 rows)

Notice that to return a value within the set you use the construct
"RETURN NEXT". Set returning functions are generally faster than array
returning functions, and are also more useful. For instance you can use
set returning functions in sub selects like so:

Select * from table where col in (select * from foo())

You can also use a where clause within the select statement ie.

marc=# select * from foo() as x where x = 'a';
---
(1 row)

So a set returning function is like a derived table.

In php, the result from a set returning function would be the same as
querying a table.