Database Views

From: "gcj" <gauss21(at)comcast(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Database Views
Date: 2008-11-06 17:21:11
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I'm a java developer and a novice Postgres user. I'm trying to create a
view that will display common fields from several different tables to
simplify some JDBC queries.

To illustrate my question, consider this example -- I have the following
three tables:

CARS

TRUCKS

SUVS

Although the tables contain numerous columns each, they each contain the
following columns in common:

Manufacturer

Identification Number

Color

I would like to create a view that will display this common information as
well as a column called "Type" that will indicate what kind of record it is
- eg Car, Truck, or SUV.

I'm not trying to create a view that merges multiple rows into a single row
in the view, but instead a view that will display a subset of each row from
the different tables. For example, if each of the individual tables
contains 100 rows, the view would contain 300 rows.

I have no problem creating a view that queries a single table, but I get
stuck when trying to pull multiple tables into the view.

Can this type of view be created? If so, can someone point me in the right
direction - a keyword or syntax example would be appreciated.

Thanks,

gcj