Re: [HACKERS] DOC: catalog.sgml

From: Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] DOC: catalog.sgml
Date: 2006-09-19 16:43:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

Tom Lane napsal(a):
> Zdenek Kotala <Zdenek(dot)Kotala(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
>> I little bit enhanced overview catalog tables. I added two new columns.
>> First one is OID of catalog table and second one contains attributes
>> which determine if the table is bootstrap, with oid and global.
>
> Why is this a good idea? It seems like mere clutter.

I'm working on pg_upgrade and these information are important for me and
I think that They should be interest some else.
You can easy determine the file related to if you know the OID.
Specially when database is shutdown is good to have some information
source. If catalog table is global/share or local is very important and
it is not mentioned anywhere. If it is created with oid or bootstrap it
is not important for standard purpose, it is only for fullness.

I know that people who hacking postgres ten years know this, however it
is internals chapter and for newbies it should be useful. And by the way
it is documentation and this is completion of information. You can say
why we have page layout there because it is described in the source code
and so on...

Zdenek