Re: The name of the game

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Subject: Re: The name of the game
Date: 2006-07-13 21:29:53
Lists: pgsql-advocacy pgsql-novice

Robert Treat wrote:
> On Thursday 13 July 2006 14:22, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
>> Robert Treat wrote:
>>> It is only 2 more letters... this is a red herring
>>
>> Me: www.postgres --- ql.org
>> Customer: Why the ql?
>
> let's see... c-o-m-m-a-n-d-p-r-o-m-p-t... thats what... 13 letters? :-)

Nice example. One distinction is that they don't spell
CommandPrompt
CommAndProMPT
If they did, and then got into arguments with customers who (not
unreasonably) call their company "Come and Pro MPT" it'd probably
hurt their organization.

So long the spelling is PostgreSQL and the pronunciation is anything
other than "Postgre something" confusion will result. If the
spelling were changed to PostgresQL people will say "postgres q l".
If the spelling were changed to PosTgresQL we'd have flamewars about
"P.O.S. Tigress" being a common pronunciation.

I still think moving to Postgres would be the best for everyone;
but if people like the QL, how about changing the capitalization
to suggest the desired pronunciation or changing the pronunciation
what the current spelling suggests. Note that FORTRAN successfully
switched to Fortran in '90; so there's precedent for that working.