Re: GIN index creation extremely slow ?

From: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>
To: Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Cc: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GIN index creation extremely slow ?
Date: 2006-06-30 15:32:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Teodor Sigaev wrote:
>> Tom did commit a patch a while ago which made a huge difference in
>> index creation time for tsearch by changing one routine. I don't know
>> if it got backpatched, so it might be worth checking people are working
>> on the same version.
>
> I saw that patch, but I still think that 7 minutes is too small :)

hmm I did some further testing on that and it looks like you might
indeed be right in suspecting that there is something fishy with the
GIST results.
It might be possible that there was some issue with the generated
tsvectors (all of them empty due to hitting the "too long value" error
case for exceeding MAXSTRPOS) in the GIST case - sorry for the confusion
:-(

Speaking of the "too long value" error message - some of the
errormessages in tsvector.c are a bit "terse" (ie it is not really
obvious what is causing the above error without looking at the source
for example).

Stefan