Re: vacuum, performance, and MVCC

From: Jan Wieck <JanWieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)skype(dot)net>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>, Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>, "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>, Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: vacuum, performance, and MVCC
Date: 2006-06-25 17:09:35
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 6/25/2006 12:27 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

>> > I think heap _and_ index reuse is the only useful direction. Index or
>> > heap reuse alone seems too marginal for the added complexity.
>>
>> Sure, but index reuse seems a lot easier, as there is nothing additional
>> to remember or clean out when doing it.
>
> Yes, seems so. TODO added:
>
> * Reuse index tuples that point to heap tuples that are not visible to
> anyone?
>
>> When reusing a heap tuple you have to clean out all index entries
>> pointing to it.
>
> Well, not for UPDATE for no key changes on the same page, if we do that.

An update that results in all the same values of every indexed column of
a known deleted invisible tuple. This reused tuple can by definition not
be the one currently updated. So unless it is a table without a primary
key, this assumes that at least 3 versions of the same row exist within
the same block. How likely is that to happen?

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #