Re: float8 auto truncation issue in ODBC v. PGSQL

From: postgresql(dot)org(at)tgice(dot)com
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: float8 auto truncation issue in ODBC v. PGSQL
Date: 2006-06-15 16:58:45
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Tom Lane wrote:
> By default, the float8 output routine prints a digit or so less than it
> could, precisely to avoid that sort of unsightly result. You can fool
> with float_extra_digits (I think that's the right name, check the docs)
> if you need to adjust this behavior.

Thanks Tom,

You rock. The option is extra_float_digits. I figured Postgres would
have something handy like this available. I just set that to "2" in my
postgresql.conf (the maximum allowed value), and the psql queries return
what I was trying to get.

> This would only matter within a plpgsql function if you are doing
> something that forces the binary value to be converted to text. Which,
> if you're doing tense float computation, you probably don't want to have
> happen at all.

Yes, I'll have to look into this a bit more as the correct value still
doesn't seem to be coming out of my function.

John