[Fwd: Re: functions returning sets]

From: Alex du Plessis <alexdup01(at)telkomsa(dot)net>
Subject: [Fwd: Re: functions returning sets]
Date: 2006-06-15 13:18:05
Lists: pgsql-novice

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: [NOVICE] functions returning sets
Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 15:12:51 +0200
From: Alex du Plessis <alexdup01(at)telkomsa(dot)net>
To: Michael Fuhr <mike(at)fuhr(dot)org>

It comes from the help in pgAdminIII:

Section 32.4.5 SQL Functions Returning sets.

This is paragraph +-3

"Currently, functions returning sets may also be called in the select
list of a query. For each row that the query generates by itself, the
function returning set is invoked, and an output row is generated for
each element of the function's result set. Note, however, that this
capability is deprecated and may be removed in future releases. The
following is an example function returning a set from the select list: "

I dearly need to set up a function with my selection criteria and then
run a slightly complex query because my client does not want to parse
the SQL properly and causes the application to crash. A function
returning a set of rows would solve the problem elegantly, but I do not
want to use something that will disappear suddenly. Now is the time to
look for alternatives (If I read the paragraph correctly)