Query tool - cell content spanning across empty cells

From: Miha Radej <miha(dot)radej(at)siix(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Query tool - cell content spanning across empty cells
Date: 2006-03-30 10:44:59
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi!

With pgAdmin build from a fresh SVN checkout, I have noticed the
following behaviour when viewing data: in the Query tool the data
displayed spans over multiple cells if they are empty, instead of the
text being cut off at the border of the cell. An impression is given of
the cells to contain data when in fact they do not.

Can the display of results in the "Query tool" be fixed so that it's
display is consistent with "View data"? This way it is easier to spot
empty values amidst lots of text.

Please compare these images to see more clearly what I am trying to say,
the images show contents of the same table and the same data:
http://mcajvar.prkoritu.net/pgadmin/pgadmin_view_data.png
http://mcajvar.prkoritu.net/pgadmin/pgadmin_query_tool.png

To reproduce the above example:
Create a table with some rows of text, ie:
CREATE TABLE dummy (
id serial NOT NULL,
a text,
b text,
c text
);
INSERT INTO dummy VALUES (1, 'Some text which extends to the next cell',
'More text which just goes on and on and on and on', 'Fe-fi-fo-fum this
won''t rhy
me at all');
INSERT INTO dummy VALUES (2, NULL, 'More text which just goes on and on
and on and on', 'Fe-fi-fo-fum this won''t rhyme at all');
INSERT INTO dummy VALUES (3, 'Some text which extends to the next cell',
NULL, 'Fe-fi-fo-fum this won''t rhyme at all');
INSERT INTO dummy VALUES (4, 'Some text which extends to the next cell',
'More text which just goes on and on and on and on', NULL);
INSERT INTO dummy VALUES (5, 'Some text which extends to the next cell',
NULL, NULL);
INSERT INTO dummy VALUES (6, NULL, 'More text which just goes on and on
and on and on', NULL);

View the data with the "View data" option and compare it to the results
if you use a "select *" statement on the table in the "Query tool".

I am using a home-brewed pgAdmin3, fresh from SVN, on SuSE linux 10.0.

Regards,
Miha