Re: [HACKERS] Faster CREATE DATABASE by delaying fsync (was 8.4.1 ubuntu karmic slow createdb)

From: Michael Clemmons <glassresistor(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org, Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Faster CREATE DATABASE by delaying fsync (was 8.4.1 ubuntu karmic slow createdb)
Date: 2009-12-29 03:04:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-performance

Maybe not crash out but in this situation.
N=0
while(N>=0):
CREATE DATABASE new_db_N;
Since the fsync is the part which takes the memory and time but is happening
in the background want the fsyncs pile up in the background faster than can
be run filling up the memory and stack.
This is very likely a mistake on my part about how postgres/processes
actually works.
-Michael