Re: [HACKERS] PATCH: multivariate histograms and MCV lists

From: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
To: Dean Rasheed <dean(dot)a(dot)rasheed(at)gmail(dot)com>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Mark Dilger <hornschnorter(at)gmail(dot)com>, Adrien Nayrat <adrien(dot)nayrat(at)dalibo(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] PATCH: multivariate histograms and MCV lists
Date: 2018-04-07 20:44:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 04/07/2018 07:52 PM, Dean Rasheed wrote:
> On 7 April 2018 at 15:12, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
>> Uh, where are we on this patch? It isn't going to make it into PG 11?
>> Feature development for this has been going on for years.
>
> Unfortunately, I think there's no way that this will be ready for
> PG11. So far, I have only read parts of the patch, focusing mainly on
> the planner changes, and how it will make use of the new statistics. I
> think there are still issues to work out in that area, although I
> haven't read the latest version yet, I have some doubts about the new
> approach described.
>
> Looking back at the history of this patch, it appears to have moved
> through all 4 PG11 commitfests with fairly minimal review, never
> becoming Ready for Committer. That's a real shame because I agree that
> it's an important feature, but IMO it's not yet in a committable
> state. I feel bad saying that, because the patch hasn't really had a
> fair chance to-date, despite Tomas' efforts and quick responses to all
> review comments.

Well, yeah. The free fall through all PG11 commitfests is somewhat
demotivating :-/

I certainly agree the patch is not committable in the current state. I
don't think it's in terrible shape, but I'm sure there are still some
dubious parts. I certainly know about a few.

> At this stage though, all I can say is that I'll make every effort to
> keep reviewing it, and I hope Tomas will persist, so that it has a
> better chance in PG12.

Thank you for the effort and for the reviews, of course.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra http://www.2ndQuadrant.com