Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Mark Woodward <pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com>
Cc: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_config, pg_service.conf, postgresql.conf ....
Date: 2006-02-27 20:19:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Maybe I'm too used to working in engineering groups. I am trying to get
> input for a project. Trying to iron out what the feature set should be and
> the objectives that should be attained. BEFORE I start coding.

Well that is always a good idea but:

> Just saying "submit a patch" is the antithesis to good engineering, it
> works for hacking, but if I am going to develop a feature, I wish to do it
> right and have it appeal to the broadest possible audience, collect as
> much input about the needs of users, etc.

The problem you are having is that sense many people do not see a
benefit it is hard
to garner the feedback, thus the fallback to submit a patch.

If you submit a patch there is a chance that people will see the benefit
within a simple
implementation and THEN you get the feedback you want.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake