Re: Dropping a database that does not exist

From: Tham Shiming <shiming(at)misatravel(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Dave Page <dpage(at)vale-housing(dot)co(dot)uk>, "Uwe C(dot) Schroeder" <uwe(at)oss4u(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Dropping a database that does not exist
Date: 2006-02-14 01:32:34
Lists: pgsql-general

Sorry, I wasn't being clear. For the sample output from pgAdmin below, I
just did a select * from pg_database, then just typed out the 2 columns
that I thought would be relevant.

OK, here's the output for select ctid, xmin, xmax, datname from pg_database;

ctid(tid) xmin(xid) xmax(xid) datname(name)
(0,1) 2 0 postgres
(0,2) 2 0 postgres8
(0,4) 746707934 0 db1
(0,5) 2 2213800494 db2 (pgAdmin says this DB does not
exist)
(0,6) 2 0 template1
(0,7) 2 0 template0
(0,8) 2 2214815770 db3 (pgAdmin says this DB does not
exist)
(0,9) 746707976 0 db4
(0,10) 2 2213853192 db5 (repeat)
(0,11) 746867758 0 db6
(0,13) 2 0 db5 (repeat)
(0,14) 2 0 db7
(0,16) 144476800 0 db8
(0,17) 144476893 0 db9
(0,19) 730724276 0 db10
(0,20) 741565079 0 db11

(actual output, i just changed the names of the databases)

As a form of clarification, for db2 and db3, we saw the duplicate
databases and tried to drop the duplicate by simply executing DROP
DATABASE db2 and DROP DATABASE db3. The command executed without errors,
but there is still one copy of db2 and db3 left. We tried to drop this
copy as well, but PostgreSQL then told us both databases did not exist.

Regards,
Shiming