Full-Time DBA opening in Salt Lake City

From: Ben Chobot <bench(at)instructure(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jobs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Full-Time DBA opening in Salt Lake City
Date: 2012-02-01 16:57:34
Lists: pgsql-jobs

My company, Instructure, is looking to hire a full-time DBA in Salt Lake City, Utah. We've been making waves in the higher education space for the last two years by selling the first LMS which doesn't make teachers and students angry to use (they actually think it's pretty cool), and now we're moving on to do the same in the K-12 market. In other words, people love us and we're growing. Fast. Our future is bright, but we need more than shades to get there. That's where you come in.

We need somebody who can:

- Be part of an on-call team
- Have the knowledge to know how to respond to database problems at 3am
- Be able to automate processes so that there aren't database problems at 3am
- Be a point of contact for questions about databases, both from technical engineers and less technical members of the company
- Be on top of problems before they become problems

The ideal candidate will have a strong working knowledge with:

- Linux
- Amazon Web Services
- MySQL
- Postgres
- Cassandra
- pgBouncer, or some other form of database pooling
- Puppet, or some other form of config management
- Zabbix, or some other from of resource monitoring and alerting
- Automation
- Performance turning
- No fear of learning The New Hotness, and no inclination to throw the baby out with the bath water
- Star Wars, Star Trek, the Lord of the Rings, or some other form of geek culture

Some of what we offer, besides a real chance to be part of helping people learn more efficiently, and a chance to be paid competitively to work on technologies you love with the tools of your choice, is:

- A relaxed work environment. We care about our employees, not how they dress.
- An open, collaborative work environment. If you see something you disagree with, rock the boat. Challenging ourselves makes us stronger.
- Paid time off. A burned out employee helps nobody.
- 100% employer-paid benefits for you and your qualified dependents
- A fully stocked breakroom, with popcorn and cookies both made frequently
- Relocation assistance

If that sounds good to you, apply on http://www.applicantstack.com/client/instructure/x/openings, or just send me your resume (which will be faster).