Re: Wich release version is suitable?

From: Andreas <maps(dot)on(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Kathy Lo <kathy(dot)lo(dot)ky(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Wich release version is suitable?
Date: 2005-12-10 17:46:27
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Kathy Lo wrote:

>Are the first 2 digit in the version of psqlodbc driver means the
>version of Postgresql that the odbc driver support?

No. Not in a strict exclusive way at least.
As far as I know it's just a version number that mirrors what you can
expect.
So the 7.xx driver knows less than the 8.xx version. Still a 7.xx driver
can talk to a 8.xx server but won't support every feature that a later
driver would.
I'm by far no expert in this matter though. ;)

>I am using Postgresql 8.0.3, which release version of psqlodbc driver
>source code for Linux should I use to access the Postgresql?

The newest of course.
The latest "official release" is 8.01.01.01 which has still some issues
that are allready patched in recent snapshots.
Thanks to Ludek and Dave there is currently a lot of work going on so
you might say the driver improves every day.

BTW is your ODBC client running on Linux, too?
You only need psqlODBC on the client machine, not on the server.