Re: Schema bug

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>, pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Schema bug
Date: 2005-12-08 15:33:16
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Guillaume LELARGE wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I found a weird bug today. If you rename the public schema, it becomes
>> unavailable. Here is a patch to fix it. It modifies the query to use
>> the oid instead of the schema's name. Works great on Linux, should'nt
>> be a problem on win32.
>
> Actually, to me renaming the public schema appears as the primary bug...
> There are many ways to corrupt pgAdmin's behaviour, and you found one of
> 'em. Renaming public is so irregular, I doubt it's worth changing the
> behaviour.

This argument scares me... I believe a GUI-Tool shouldn't impose any
additional restrictions to what you can do with your database -
otherwise GUI-Users become second-class citzicens when compared to those
who use the commandline/psql. Why exactly does pgadmin depend on
the existance of the public schema?

greetings, Florian Pflug