Re: out of memory error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vincent Dautremont <vincent(at)searidgetech(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: out of memory error
Date: 2012-05-23 15:26:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

Vincent Dautremont <vincent(at)searidgetech(dot)com> writes:
> I've found out that when my software does these updates the memory of the
> postgres process grows constantly at 24 MB/hour. when I stop my software to
> update these rows, the memory of the process stops to grow.
> also I've noticed that when I stop rubyrep, this postgres process disappear.

Hmm. I wondered whether rubyrep might be triggering this somehow;
I don't know anything about that software. I went so far as to download
rubyrep and look at the Postgres-specific source code yesterday. It
doesn't look like it's doing anything strange, but I could easily have
missed something.

One thing you could try doing is to turn on query logging (set
log_statement = all) and look to see if rubyrep, or some other part of
your system, is indeed issuing repeated CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION
commands.