freezing a particular field in a table

From: Ferindo Middleton Jr <fmiddleton(at)verizon(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: freezing a particular field in a table
Date: 2005-11-22 23:28:55
Lists: pgsql-admin

Is there a way where you can implement a situation in a postgres table
where a particular field cannot be changed when saved initially. I have
table and there's one particular integer field that should never be
changed in any record inserted... but I might need to allow the entire
record to be deleted... I was just wondering if there's a way to
implement something like this on a field (but not the entire row) at the
database level?

Ferindo Middleton