Re: Help speeding up delete

From: Ron Mayer <rm_pg(at)cheapcomplexdevices(dot)com>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Subject: Re: Help speeding up delete
Date: 2005-11-18 01:39:48
Lists: pgsql-performance pgsql-www

Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

>>> Quite seriously, if you're still using 7.2.4 for production purposes
>>> you could justifiably be accused of negligence....
>>
>> Perhaps we should put a link on the home page underneath LATEST RELEASEs
>> saying
>> 7.2: de-supported
>> with a link to a scary note along the lines of the above.
>
> I strongly support an explicit desupported notice for 7.2 and below on
> the website...

I'd go so far as to say the version #s of supported versions
is one of pieces of information I'd most expect to see on
the main support page ( http://www.postgresql.org/support/ ).

Perhaps it'd be nice to even show a table like
Version Released On Support Ends
7.1 4 BC Sep 3 1752
7.2 Feb 31 1900 Jan 0 2000
7.4 2003-11-17 At least 2005-x-x
8.0 2005-01-19 At least 2006-x-x
with a footnote saying that only the most recent dot release
of each family is considered supported.

It also might be nice to have a footnote saying that any
of the commercical support companies might support the older
versions for longer periods of time.