Re: pg_autovacuum fails to run as a windows service (beta4)

From: "Steve McWilliams" <smcwilliams(at)EmprisaNetworks(dot)com>
To: <matthew(at)tocr(dot)com>
Cc: <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_autovacuum fails to run as a windows service (beta4)
Date: 2004-12-10 22:56:20
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Yes, when I register pg_autovacuum.exe I am logged in with admin
privileges. The account I am specifying pg_autovacuum.exe to run under
however is a non-admin account with "logon as service" privileges on
windows xp pro.

> Just a quick guess, the user account that you are logged in as while
> attempting to install the service, is it an admin account that has the
> required privileges?
>
> Steve McWilliams wrote:
>
>>I am unable to run pg_autovacuum as a windows service. I am using
>> 8.0.0beta4 on Windows XP Pro. When I execute the following to try to
>> install it as a service:
>>
>>pg_autovacuum.exe -I -N os_user -W os_pword -U db_user -p 15432 -L
>> my_log
>>
>>It fails to show up in the services list. The log file shows:
>>
>>ERROR: The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password
>> is invalid for the account name specified.
>>
>>The OS account name and password ARE correct however. In fact they are
>> the same OS account name and password that Postgres is already running
>> under successfully as a windows service on the same machine.
>>
>>Note that if I instead run pg_autovacuum from the command line, not as
>> a service, then it works fine:
>>
>>pg_autovacuum.exe -U db_user -p 15432 -L my_log
>>
>>Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>Steve McWilliams
>>

>>---------------------------(end of
>> broadcast)--------------------------- TIP 7: don't forget to increase
>> your free space map settings
>>

> --
> Matthew O'Connor
> V.P. of Operations
> Terrie O'Connor Realtors
> 201-934-4900 x27

Steve McWilliams
Software Engineer
Emprisa Networks
703-691-0433x21
smcwilliams(at)emprisanetworks(dot)com

The information contained in this communication is intended only for the
use of the recipient named above, and may be legally privileged,
confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the
reader of this communication is not the intended recipient, you are hereby
communication, or any of its contents, is strictly prohibited. If you have
received this communication in error, please resend this communication to
the sender and delete the original communication and any copy of it from
your computer system. Thank you.