Re: State of support for back PG branches

From: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Devrim GUNDUZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: State of support for back PG branches
Date: 2005-09-26 23:16:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Tom Lane wrote:

>If we want to have some sort of fixed policy for support lifespan, I
>would suggest it be like "X amount of time after the release of the
>following major version". But X probably has to depend on how big
>the compatibility gotchas are in the following version, so we're still
>really talking about a judgment call here.

I'm not sure that that's going to help users much. I should think around
3 years (or some such predictable period) is a reasonable lifetime goal
for a piece of software like this, accompanied by some weasel words.
Maybe something like this would do: "We will attempt to maintain support
of each major version for 3 years after its release, although this will
not always be possible. After that time any major support requirement is
likely to result in support being ended."

cheers

andrew