Re: Caching by Postgres

From: Donald Courtney <Donald(dot)Courtney(at)Sun(dot)COM>
To: William Yu <wyu(at)talisys(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Caching by Postgres
Date: 2005-08-24 13:21:12
Lists: pgsql-performance

Great discussion and illuminating for those of us who are still
learning the subtleties of postGres.

William

To be clear -
I built postgreSQL 8.1 64K bit on solaris 10 a few months ago
and side by side with the 32 bit postgreSQL build saw no improvement.
In fact the 64 bit result was slightly lower.

I used the *same 64 bit S10 OS* for both versions. I think your
experience makes sense since your change was from 32 to 64 bit Linux.
From my experiment I am surmising that there will not be any
file/os/buffer-cache
scale up effect on the same OS with postgreSQL 64.

I was testing on a 4 core system in both cases.