Re: Bug or not about ASCII and Multi-Byte character set

From: Andreas Pflug <pgadmin(at)pse-consulting(dot)de>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bug or not about ASCII and Multi-Byte character set
Date: 2005-08-19 08:35:28
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Ben Trewern wrote:
> I'd like to make a few points on this issue.
>
> 1. This problem should be mentioned in the FAQs as largely as possible as
> it is difficult to rectify if you have fallen into this trap.
>
> 2. If you do have data in SQL_ASCII the old ODBC driver worked, PgAdmin III
> works, Delphi and zeoslib works, I understand why there may be a problem but
> is it not possible to make the new 8.x work?
>
> 3. Correct me if I'm wrong but SQL_ASCII is PostgreSQL's default encoding.
> If this isn't sorted out then we'll see lots more of these messages for
> help.
>
> 4. I'd like to disagree with your "DO NOT USE ASCII FOR NON-ASCII DATA" as
> if you read any of Tom Lanes many messages on the subject. Here's a quote:
>
> "The SQL_ASCII setting isn't an
> encoding, really; it's a declaration of ignorance. In this setting
> the server will just store and regurgitate whatever character strings
> you send it. This will work fine, more or less, if all your clients
> use exactly the same encoding and you don't care about functions like
> upper()/lower()"

Mind the *if*.
You'll always create mess when mixing drivers/apps. Ignoring proper
encodings is always non-standard, so don't expect drivers to support it,
and ask for support.
Server encoding is for fixing this issue, and all drivers are obeying
this. So if you want a guarantee to have a working configuration, DO NOT
USE ASCII FOR NON-ASCII DATA.

Regards,
Andreas