Re: Article doing a basic comparison of MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Article doing a basic comparison of MySQL, Oracle, PostgreSQL
Date: 2005-08-11 15:08:19
Lists: pgsql-docs

>I find this peculiar, considering this:
>
>http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/tutorial-start.html
>
>Now, perhaps the author's conclusion is just bogus but can anyone think of
>better ways in which we could ease people into PostgreSQL?

I think more than likely it just isn't obvious where the tutorial is.
I just went to the website, I clicked documentation, no immediate
mention of the tutorial. Then I click 8.0, where is the tutorial?

Oh... it is in the beginning of the 1300 pages of documentation.

Honestly, I didn't even know it was there. Of course I haven't had
need for it, but if I couldn't readily find it in 1 click (which is what
it should be) then a guy writing an article isn't going to either.

The tutorial/introduction should be a nice fat link in the center of
the page when you click documentation.

Right now when you click documentation you get this:

There is a wealth of PostgreSQL information available online. This
section contains current <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals> and
archived <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/archive> manuals for
PostgreSQL users, as well as frequently asked questions
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq>.

You can learn what's new <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/whatsnew> in
the latest release, and view a listing of books
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/books> written about PostgreSQL (some of
which are available in their entirety online). Technical documentation
<http://techdocs.postgresql.org> is also available in this section.

Which should probably be:

There is a wealth of PostgreSQL information available online. If you are
new to PostgreSQL we strongly suggest you check out
the latest <BOLD>Tutorial</BOLD>. This section contains current
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals> and archived
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/manuals/archive> manuals for PostgreSQL
users, as well as frequently asked questions
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq>.

You can learn what's new <http://www.postgresql.org/docs/whatsnew> in
the latest release, and view a listing of books
<http://www.postgresql.org/docs/books> written about PostgreSQL (some of
which are available in their entirety online). Technical documentation
<http://techdocs.postgresql.org> is also available in this section.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake