Re: Cheap RAM disk?

From: John A Meinel <john(at)arbash-meinel(dot)com>
To: Luke Lonergan <llonergan(at)greenplum(dot)com>
Cc: Postgresql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Cheap RAM disk?
Date: 2005-07-26 18:28:03
Lists: pgsql-performance

Luke Lonergan wrote:
> Yup - interesting and very niche product - it seems like it's only obvious
> application is for the Postgresql WAL problem :-)

Well, you could do it for any journaled system (XFS, JFS, ext3, reiserfs).

But yes, it seems specifically designed for a battery backed journal.
Though the article reviews it for very different purposes.

Though it was a Windows review, and I don't know of any way to make NTFS
use a separate device for a journal. (Though I expect it is possible
somehow).

John
=:->