Re: using cursors?

From: Marko Ristola <Marko(dot)Ristola(at)kolumbus(dot)fi>
To: Joel Fradkin <jfradkin(at)wazagua(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: using cursors?
Date: 2005-07-14 06:09:56
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Correct with UseDeclareFetch:

"UseDeclareFetch = 1 activates the internal cursor usage
in SELECT queries with low memory consumption,
in psqlodbc. I don't know about other ODBC drivers.

"Fetch = 100" informs the psqlodbc driver: UseDeclareFetch fetches at
most 100 rows at a time.
(with 101 result rows, the backend delivers with first "cursor fetch"
the 100 rows. Next time only one row will be delivered).

My opinion is, that 100 is high enough. With 1000 rows, the
crash risk is much higher. It might be, that with 32, the speed
is slightly better: It might be, that if the whole data fits into the CPU
cache in Windows, the performance is at it's best:
my laptop is extremely fast, and that seems, that it is so,
because of 1 meg CPU cache. With 256k cache the speed decreases.

You can confirm the cursor usage with ODBC trace:

Trace=1
CommLog=1
Debug=1

This will store debug information into mylog... files
and psqodbc* files.

The following information will show the cursor usage
in mylog*.log:

stmt='select count(*) from test1'
stmt_with_params = 'declare SQL_CUR0x808d760 cursor for select count(*) from
test1'

So, here I issued the command
"select count(*) from test1".
Psqlodbc changed it into "declare XXX cursor for select
count(*) from test1"

Marko Ristola