Re: limiting connections per user/database

From: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Petr Jelínek <pjmodos(at)parba(dot)cz>, pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: limiting connections per user/database
Date: 2005-06-27 05:16:46
Lists: pgsql-patches

Tom Lane wrote:
> I looked at this but did not actually see the code path that requires
> forcing creation of the per-DB entry right at this spot. The HASH_FIND
> calls for this hashtable seem to all happen on the backend side not the
> collector side. Can you explain why we need this?

Yeah, I missed this when making the original change (this code is rather
opaque :-\). The problem is that if we don't initialize the dbentry for
the database we connect to, it won't get written out to the statsfile in
pgstat_write_statsfile(). So the database won't be counted as having any
backends connected to it in pgstat_read_statsfile() (see line 2558 of
pgstat.c in HEAD).

BTW, the comment at line 2210 of pgstat.c is misleading: the n_backends
in the entries of the dbentry hash table are explicitly ignored when
reading in the stats file -- the value is instead derived from the
number of beentries that are seen.

-Neil