Re: PostgreSQL oom_adj postmaster process to -17

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Radovan Jablonovsky <radovan(dot)jablonovsky(at)replicon(dot)com>
Cc: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>, pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL oom_adj postmaster process to -17
Date: 2012-08-03 18:32:52
Lists: pgsql-admin

Radovan Jablonovsky <radovan(dot)jablonovsky(at)replicon(dot)com> writes:
> In usual load there are not much pressure on memory, but it is possible to
> have all clients start using heavy reports. They are valid requests and
> could consume all memory. In this border and not likely but possible
> scenario it could be useful to let OOM killer to kill client's
> processes/connections but leave PostgreSQL system processes (postmaster,
> writer, stat, log, streaming, ...) excluded from reach of OOM killer.

The code already supports excluding the postmaster itself from OOM kills
while letting its children be subject to them. Being selective about
which children are subject is pointless, though: if any child is kill
-9'd, we have to zap the rest and restart, because there is no way to be
sure that the victim left shared memory in a consistent state.