Unable to drop index

From: Oliver Duke-Williams <o(dot)w(dot)duke-williams(at)leeds(dot)ac(dot)uk>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Unable to drop index
Date: 2005-04-26 12:13:11
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

I have an error trying to drop an index using PostgreSQL 7.4.6 running
on Solaris 2.9.

The table on which the index was built is no longer present (it should
have been dropped by my application after being used), but it would
appear that the index was not dropped at the same time as the table:

drop index iext_41827440000_24 ;
ERROR: could not open relation with OID 147483811

Looking in pg_class for an entry with this OID (147483811) returns 0
rows; an entry exists in pg_class for the index itself.

How can I safely remove the index? The old copy of the index is
preventing the creation of a new table and associated index of the same
names.

Would manually deleting the records that relate to the index in pg_index
and pg_class be sufficient, or is that likely to do more harm than good?

Many thanks,

Oliver

--
Oliver Duke-Williams <o(dot)w(dot)duke-williams(at)leeds(dot)ac(dot)uk>
School of Geography University of Leeds