Getting the number or row returned by a select. Alway tought it was not possible until I say pgAdmin who gives it

From: David Gagnon <dgagnon(at)siunik(dot)com>
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Getting the number or row returned by a select. Alway tought it was not possible until I say pgAdmin who gives it
Date: 2005-04-15 19:53:33
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi all,

In my system I alway do a select X from Y. followed by a select
count() from Y to get the number of row in my first request. I heard it
was possible to get the total number of rows from a select in a
VB6/MSSQL env.

Today I saw in PGAdminIII that it gives the count(*) from any query that
return more that 100 lines: This query return more than 100 rows (12234
rows) do you want to display them.

So did I miss something obvious. Is it possible to get the total number
of row returned from a query without doing another select.

Thanks to confirm that :-)

Have a goog week-end
/David