Re: Roadmap for pgAdmin3 on OSX

From: "Florian G(dot) Pflug" <fgp(at)phlo(dot)org>
To: OpenMacNews <OpenMacNews(at)speakeasy(dot)net>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Roadmap for pgAdmin3 on OSX
Date: 2005-04-13 11:05:52
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

OpenMacNews wrote:
> i'm *still* having issues w/ the 'new' 2.6-branch HEAD (cref: my other
> posts).
Are you sure you recompiled _all_ pgadmin files - if you just run configure
and specify a different wx-config, the build system doesn't realize it
has to rebuild everything. I had some unresolved symbols when switching
from wx 2.5.4 to 2.5.5, and they went away after doing "make clean; make"

> i'm trying the wxMac 2.5.5 release at the moment ...
Be sure to include fix by "Stefan Csomor":
---------------
as I don't have a buildable situation for pgadmin on my system, could
you please try out whether adding

DoSetWindowVariant( m_windowVariant) ;

in toplevel.cpp line 1204 , just in front of the m_macFocus = NULL ;
-----------------

>> 1) postgres start/stop support
>> 2) open ".sql" with pgadmin?
>> 3) ssl support
>> 4) Standard location for postgresql.conf and pg_hba.conf?
>> 5) Nightly Builds
>>
>> ad 1), 4): Depends on weather there exists a "official" binary
>> version of postgres for OSX.
> i'm unclear as to why this depends on an "official" bin? could this not
> simply point to a given 'custom' bin path, or presume that our $PATH has
> been set correctly?

Well, pgadmin needs to know how to start and stop postgres -
on osx - so we at least need to know the "servicename".
Of course this can be made configureable - but if there
was a "official way" for these things on osx, we could
save some config options.

>> ad 2): Can you click on a saved sql query in windows, and
>> it is opened in pgadmin3? If so, I could try to do the same
>> for OSX
>
> are you thinking of simply using a LaunchServices assignment (i.e.,
> using the GetInfo dialog's "Open with ..." facility?)
Kind of... see my other post in this thread - we'd need a way to remeber
the connection this sql was used in, or a way for the use to specify that.

>> ad 3): This is a bug in configure - but I still don't know how to
>> fix/workaround this.
> do you have a thread reference for the particular problem, or a breif
> description?
See my other mail in this thread.

> I've had no apparent issue linking/building against my external SSL
> build; however, i haven't gotten as far as testing function ...
Have you checked wether you actually got ssl support - I can link
against a ssl-enabled libpq just fine - but the pgadmin configure
doesn't detect the ssl-support, and disabled ssl-support for pgadmin.

greetings, Florian Pflug