Re: Driver uses always UTF-8?

From: Marko Ristola <marko(dot)ristola(at)kolumbus(dot)fi>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Driver uses always UTF-8?
Date: 2005-04-11 17:06:32
Lists: pgsql-odbc

Hello,

If I have understood the PostgreSQL ODBC driver, it supports
Unicode on Windows. In that case, the database needs to be in UTF-8.

In the World, there is a LATIN1 -> UTF-8(UNICODE) transition going on.
So, LATIN1 users have a higher risk of finding new faults, like
this one in the PostgreSQL ODBC driver.

In my opinion, DB2 works, because the DB2 ODBC client driver
does charset conversions from the database charset into the
client charset and vice versa.

I don't know the current state of PostgreSQL ODBC on this regard.
It would be very nice, if the database server could be in UTF-8
and some old application would use LATIN1 and some new
application could use UTF-8 at the same time ...

Regards,
Marko Ristola