Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Jim C(dot) Nasby" <jim(at)nasby(dot)net>
Cc: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>, pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Postgres v MySQL 5.0
Date: 2006-11-15 17:51:51
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

>> If you say, I am a developer... you are not a newbie. You may be new to
>> the platform, but if you are actually
>> a developer you are more than smart enough and you have a
>> *responsibility* to make sure you understand
>> that platform.
>
> That's making the (in my experience false) assumption that your average
> app developer has any clue about databases. Most app developers can

No. I am not making an assumption that an average app at 04:22:11AM
-0800, Joshua D. Drake wrote:

>> >You're entitled to your opinion, but from an advocacy perspective,
>> that's
>> >a terrible response and a terrible attitude. Our goal should be to
>> educate
>> >and encourage newbies, not laugh at them and drive them off.
>> Unfortunately,
>> >I see too much of the latter, and not enough of the former, including
>> on
>> >this very list.
>> >
>> I have spent more time than is probably healthy helping newbies on these
>> lists and various support channels.
>> This isn't about helping newbies, I am 100% happy to help newbies. My
>> point in this thread is not about
>> newbies. My point is about irresponsibility of developers, specifically
>> professional developers and lack of
>> willingness to actually understand your platform.
>> developer has any clue about databases. I am declaring that it is their
*responsibility* to make sure they do (if they are going to use the
platform).

I don't care if an app developer does not have experience. I care that he
is too lazy to do his homework or get help from someone who has the
experience.

> One of the best things the community could do would be to help educate
> these people on basic database concepts and pitfalls, such as why
> concurrency is almost always more important than single-connection
> performance. Or why you want to keep the number of round-trips to the
> database to a minimum. Or why ACID is important for apps other than
> banking. Etc., etc.

I agree 100% with this.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake