Re: [HACKERS] plPHP in core?

From: "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: "Marc G(dot) Fournier" <scrappy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, "Psql_General (E-mail)" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] plPHP in core?
Date: 2005-04-02 15:29:02
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

Marc G. Fournier wrote:

> One key point to note here is Joshua already saying they wish, like
> plPerl, to continue maintaining the "core code" outside of the core
> distribution ... the way I read that is they just want to be 'in core'
> to piggy back on the distribution, not to make development/maintenance
> any easier ...

Well that is not exactly what I meant but I see what you are saying.
The reason plPerlNG is maintained outside of core and then resubmitted
is that we worked on it longer than feature freeze and we made the features
work with 7.4 as well.

We have not done any work on it, in about 6 months?... I am thinking.

>> ey
>> are a few features shy of a load already. I'm pretty sure pl/r and
>> pl/java will need changes to support this feature too. If they were in
>> core CVS then I'd consider it part of my responsibility to fix 'em
>

> But, why should it be your responsibility to fix 'em?

This is a good point and I did submit to Tom that as we were the ones that
submitted the new plPerl that we would have been happy to do that work.
We just didn't know the work was being done.

> Is it really a win that the only person 'up to speed' that can fix
> them is you? Seems a load that will grow heavier as more PLs (if more
> PLs) come online ...

This argument doesn't hold too much weight. Namely because there are only
3-5 really popular languages out there. They are marketing languages.
The are languages you include because your database doesn't "sound"
complete with out them. Regardless if you can download them separately.
People are lazy. They don't want to download them separately.

I see those as:

plPgsql (for Oracle people)
plPerl
plPHP
plJava

plPython is cool and all (I love Python) but feature wise it is quite a bit
behind the others and unless someone picks up active development it probably
should be removed. FYI: Resources permitting we are looking at plPython

If plJava can be integrated in a way that will allow it to be installed
easily with the standard mechanism of ./configure --with-pljava then I
believe
it should be there as well.

> Also, since plPerlNG is maintained on PgFoundry, are the changes you
> are making to core getting migrated back to the main project itself?

I have not see a patch yet.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

> ----
> Marc G. Fournier Hub.Org Networking Services
> (http://www.hub.org)
> Email: scrappy(at)hub(dot)org Yahoo!: yscrappy ICQ:
> 7615664

Attachment Content-Type Size
jd.vcf text/x-vcard 285 bytes