Re: invalid string enlargement request

From: Oliver Jowett <oliver(at)opencloud(dot)com>
To: Glenn Holmer <gholmer(at)weycogroup(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: invalid string enlargement request
Date: 2005-03-16 21:16:19
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Glenn Holmer wrote:
> Not sure if this is a JDBC or general Postgres question, but we're
> losing a web app's connection to Postgres with these errors:
>
> invalid string enlargement request size 1358954494
> AbortTransaction and not in in-progress state

This is the backend trying to allocate a very large string for some
reason, perhaps because of a silly-sized protocol message being received
or sent. Are you working with large bytea data at all?

> invalid frontend message type 41

And this is the protocol stream getting out of sync, possibly because of
the above error.

> This is with Postgres 7.4.7 and driver pg74.213.jdbc3.jar.

Can you try with the latest (build 310) driver and see if the problem
persists?

If so, can you send a testcase that demonstrates the problem? Or at
least the query code that fails plus the complete exception you get.

-O